Carrying the Word of God in your heart is wonderful. It is with you wherever you go. It's ready for use in times of temptation. You can meditate on your memorized verses at any time. However, memorizing doesn't come easy to all of us. How can we commit Bible verses, and even passages, to memory without spending all day crouched over the page?
Welcome to Mini-Tip Monday. Give me three minutes of your week, and I’ll show you a quick and powerful Bible study hack to deepen your time in God’s Word. Is a complete tutorial too overwhelming? Or are you just hungry for more? Here is your bite-sized Bible tip to start off your week with Scripture confidence.
Memorizing the Bible is worth the effort. Consider one of the following tricks:
- Divide the verse into two-three word phrases. Memorize the first phrase, then move on to the next. Little by little, the whole verse will come easily.
- Sing the verse to the tune of a popular song.
- Write the verse out on several pieces of paper. The process of hand-writing will help you memorize.
- Place those papers throughout your house and make a conscious effort to read them every time you pass by.
- Write the verse again with larger spaces between each word. Cut the paper so that each word is on one small piece. Now arrange the words in the right order. Reuse this make-shift puzzle as often as you need.
- Read the verse out loud several times in a row. Close your eyes and try to repeat it one more time without looking.
- Ask someone for help. Repeat the verse to them and ask for the next word if you need it. Alternatively, you could use an index card or two to cover up the verse, only revealing the next word once you speak it or if you can't remember it.
- Set a few daily reminders on your phone with the Bible verse, so that it will pop up on your display several times a day. Read the verse out loud and commit another portion to memory before checking/dismissing the reminder.
- Engage with the text you’d like to memorize. Dwell on what each portion means. The verse will change from meaningless words to a life-changing message that is more likely to stick.
- Pray! Ask God for help as you memorize His Word. If applicable, pray the verse you are memorizing.
Try out the above memorization tips to see which ones work best for you. Here is a great verse to memorize:
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8,9
What is your favorite way to memorize the Bible? Share your tip in the comments below in hope of helping someone else.
Have a Scripture-confident Monday,
PS: Are you ready for more Bible study tips? Request your FREE digital copy of "10 Steps to Approaching the Bible with Confidence" below.